Monday, July 23, 2007

A Rainbow Shawl


I had a very soft, hand painted, spinning roving and wanted to try some different things with it. I split it in half and used some of it to spin a very bulky yarn and some to spin finely for a shawl.The colors were the colors of a rainbow and painted on the roving in about 5 inch sections. I didn't split the color sections lengthwise, I tried to leave them whole and spin each color in a long yarn, thus having very long color repeats. When I was done spinning, knowing that I didn't have nearly enough for a wonderfully large lace shawl, and not wanting to ply the yarn on itself, because I liked the single color look, I thought I would ply the yarn with sewing thread, which I did. I used a blue thread and plied it in such a manner that the yarn has a lot of texture in it. Then came the swatching for the shawl. The stitch that I had wanted to use didn't lookvery nice, it was too busy for the texture in the yarn. So, I finally settled on the one you see here. I am really excited with how this shawl looks. I will post more when I get more knitted. Oh, and if you look at the ball of yarn, you can see the long color repeats in it.

3 comments:

Carissa said...

That look like it is going to be really pretty! I love spinning yarn like that, I always want to keep spinning to see what comes next!

Joanne said...

Carissa, It was really fun to spin this yarn and I am having a great time knitting it too. I keep wanting to knit it, to see how the next color will work up.

Deborah said...

OOOOOhhhh! Love it!