Friday, August 10, 2007

Handspun, Hand knit shawl

The knitting is done on my Rainbow shawl! I am so excited, because I even have yarn left over. I only had 495 yards to work with. When I started knitting this shawl, I had wondered if it would even get to be big enough to wear. I figured, it might have to decorate the back of a chair and hear me sigh('cause I couldn't wear it), when I looked at it. But, no, it is large enough to wear!

I had spun this yarn into a fine single ply and then plied it with sewing thread, so I could keep the colors separate. Because I was so limited on yardage, I decided to keep my design fairly simple. That is why there isn't a fancy edging on it. The final size is 56 inches x 36 inches and weighs 2.4 oz. I chose a simple lace pattern out of one of Barbara Walker's Treasury books and used size 7 knitting needles.

Our high temperature today is supposed to be at least 100F. I cannot complain, after all. After all the rain, we had earlier in our summer, our weather has been cooler than normal. Of course, even our cooler is still hot! We have had 90's. I am ready for the air conditioning in public places now, with my new shawl.

3 comments:

Mick Bright Kim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda said...

Wow your shawl is beautiful! I am in the process of spinning for a lace project (my first ever) and was wondering if you would mind answering a few questions for me...
1) Why not just use a single ply?
2) Did you ply with cotton thread or a blend?

amandawynkoop@hotmail.com

thanks so much, and once again, Great job!

Joanne said...

Amanda, I used serger thread, 100% polyester, to ply my yarn with.

Also, when you are spinning finely, it is almost impossible to spin a yarn, at least for me, that isn't going to try to spin back on itself when taken off the bobbin. By plying the yarn with the thread, I didn't add any thickness to it, but the plying actually helped release the overspun tension. After spinning, I put my skeins of yarn in hot water, to set the twist, but I don't like to weight them for drying. I like to know what I truly have to work with. Hope this helps!