Monday, July 21, 2008

Grasshoppers!

Well, here we go again. Bugs! Texas should be the Bug state, not the Lone Star State. Just kidding, but I think some folks might agree with me. Anyway, did you know, there are all kinds of grasshoppers? I remember as a child being so excited to see a grasshopper! They were so cool and they were green and looked great. Well, we have a grasshopper kingdom visiting our woods this year. It is the Post Oak Grasshopper Family. They like Post Oak Trees. The grasshoppers nest in the ground and climb the trees to eat the leaves. Apparently, they will move to another neighborhood next year. So, Texas A&M University said not to worry too much about the infestation. Guess what trees make up the woods around our home?? You guessed it!

Notice this guy is really colorful, so if you like bugs or have kids that like bugs, they will enjoy this picture. Me, I am not crazy about bugs anymore.

My daughter is doing a thankful list on her blog. I think that is a great idea, especially since I am inundated with bugs! I am going to start that too. I am thankful for duct tape. We have it wrapped around the trunks of 2 of our trees that hang over the pool and it is catching these grasshoppers and they have stopped falling into the pool. Making my pool cleaning job much easier. One day I watched as one of them thought they could jump 4 feet from one branch to another. Nope, he actually did a dive straight into the pool! Well, maybe he was trying out for the Olympics.

Oh, yes, I am still knitting. Some will put their knitting away in the summer. But, not me. I am working on a shawl pattern and doing another test knit for it. Two of my wonderful spinning friends, Kate and Cindy, are testing it too. Hopefully, I will be able to work out the rough patches of that pattern. For those waiting for the Diamond Pattern, it is still coming. I will post when I get it out on etsy.

3 comments:

HODGEPODGESPV said...

when i was little we went to visit my dad's dad and some of daddy's friends before he went to korea. when we went to visit one of his farmer friends, i saw my first memory of a grasshopper...i think these were brown and they spit! i thought it looked like chewing tobacco...i was grossed out!

Rebekah said...

hey, at least grasshoppers aren't dangerous - for perspective, remember the scorpions, poisonous spiders & mosquitoes, bleck!!

So I'm thankful that the plentiful grasshoppers are not dangerous :)

Joanne said...

Oh, you are right. I AM thankful that grasshoppers are not dangerous. I am still fishing dead scorpions out of there.