Friday, January 9, 2009

Nature


About a week or two ago we had some really horrendous winds here. The mph was enough to blow over the table on the deck and the umbrella and stand with it. I went into the kitchen and was fixing dinner and looked out the back window and saw this. This little nest was hanging on by a thread! I hadn't seen it there before and with the tree being right outside my window, I don't think it had been. It was truly amazing to me to see hit hanging there as the tree was swaying back and forth.
Then a couple of days later, I started hearing some banging on the bathroom window. Now it is

20 feet in the air, so I was really curious about what was making this racket. I went and looked and there was a tiny bird there, knocking on the window. When I moved closer to look at him, he turned his head to see me and didn't fly away. When I talked to him he listened and then left. He did come back many times over the next hour and I saw him stretching his neck to see me when I walked into the room. Note to self: This is why you don't get a lot done, you are distracted by cute little animals.

Well, I told the man about it and he was like, ho-hum. So, I went on. I got out my camera and had it ready to take a picture the next time he came by. My visitor kept coming each morning. Then he came on Sunday. He had changed his routine a bit. Figured out he could see into the house at the front door. Well, Jeff FINALLY saw him. He was perched on the "spider stick" in front of the window by the door. These photos were taken by me, through the window next to the front door. He sure is a tiny little guy.Haven't figured out what he is yet, but that is one reason to take the picture and post it here. Maybe someone else will know. :)

The spider stick is a long stick that we use to knock down spider webs around the front door. Spiders are good to have, but we are trying to train them not to build their webs, in front of our front or back doors. There is the whole of the woods to do that, even the side of the house or to the side of the front door, not in front of it. So, that is how the spider stick came into being. We scoop up the web and spider and move it or else we will have to walk through it and that is not a wonderful concept.

6 comments:

Deborah said...

How funny to see a bird as curious about you as you are about it.

Deborah said...

What a cute little friend! Good photos. Did you name it, yet? Maybe it wants bits of fiber for a nest!

Joanne said...

Oh, that's it, he wants some fiber! I will put some out there. :) I haven't named him, need to find a good name. Any ideas?

Joanne said...

It is fun to see them being curious. I really enjoy it.

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne - what you have there is a Ruby Crowned Kinglet. They are feisty little beasts! You hardly ever see the red feathers on the top of his head unless he's really riled up! He must think you live in HIS treehouse! LOL!
I love those little guys!

Joanne said...

Ok, so, I will name him Mr. King!
I was so close to him, that the red was really easy to see. Hmm. I am not moving out for him though. :)