Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Doll Clothes

I remember when I was very young and playing with dolls that my great aunt sent me some doll clothes for Barbie. She lived in Maine, an absolutely gorgeous state. So, when the manilla envelope addressed to me, arrived at our home in New York, I was so excited. This aunt, Aunt Elizabeth, was one of the people who influenced and encouraged me to knit. She would knit and sew such absolutely gorgeous items. I don't know if I will ever knit as good as she did, but I sure try. Others who have influenced me in my knitting are my Mom and my Aunt Florence. My mom is the person who put the knitting needles into my hands and taught me how to knit. Isn't that wonderful? She would knit sweaters, mittens, hats and scarves for me while I was growing up, I loved them all. She has made some things for me, as adult too, which are really appreciated. I used to sit amazed watching Aunt Florence knitting up gorgeous aran sweaters. But, Aunt Elizabeth was a very fast knitter, I remember seeing her knit a sweater vest in one day on size US8 needles. She would tell me that her job in the family, as a child in Canada, was to knit for their needs and to card the wool to prepare it for spinning. Her sister was the one who spun the yarn.


Anyway, back to the doll clothes. When the granddaughters' birthdays were upon us, I wanted to make something for their American Girls dolls. I searched around the internet for patterns, but finally decided that I could just make the sweaters without a pattern. I do have Felicity here at our house, she is our model today. The green sweater is made in all garter stitch and the purple sweater does have a cable down each front. They were lots of fun to make.



2 comments:

Deborah said...

What a neat idea.

Rebekah said...

The girls love them and we all appreciate the work you put into making things for them :)