Sunday, February 22, 2009

Colors to Dye For

Last Saturday, Feb 14, I was at a retreat. The retreat wasn't far from my home, which was really nice. We were at a great campgrounds with wonderful accomodations. The workshop that I took, was dying rovings. I thought I would let you see our pictures here. First, we chained the rovings and soaked them. Later we squeezed out the extra water and laid them on a covered table. Notice, we are wearing stylish plastic aprons and plastic gloves.

After painting the roving we rolled it up to look like a cinnamon roll and put plastic wrap around it. We used a great plastic tape and wrote our name on that and tied it tothe fiber.

Next we stuffed the fiber rolls, like a turkey, onto a rack suspended
over water by bricks, into a turkey roaster. We covered the roaster and let them cook.

The next photo shows them from the top of the roaster. All this color!!!! Isn't it gorgeous?
Warning: Once you use your kitchen tools for dying you cannot use them in the kitchen again. Be safe.





After cooking we layed them out to cool a bit.

Then each person could unroll them and rinse them. Mine are on the right hanging on the rack, still braided.


Anther warning:
color is contagious. :)


3 comments:

Deborah said...

So pretty. The kids and I dyed some rovings with food colors once and it was fun!

Deborah said...

My comment didn't post, sorry. Remember when we had a dye day at Peggy's? That was so much fun. Did you go to the retreat by yourself? Which roving is yours???

Joanne said...

My roving is the blue and red one to the right on the drying rack and rolled up in the turkey baster.
I will post more pics of my roving soon.
Joanne