Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sonnet and Weather


If I was a poet I would write a sonnet about our weather. Of course, there are others in our country who could write a horror story about their weather, so I guess a sonnet is pretty good.

However, the Sonnet that I mean, in my title, is a sweater pattern. It is from Knitty.com and found here. It is a pattern written by Kristi Porter and is a free pattern from Knitty. Kristi actually wrote the original pattern, Haiku, for a baby. It is a really cute pattern and people asked her for an adult version.

I made my Sonnet out of a purple colored, handspun Merino from Ashland Bay Trading Co, Inc. It is spun to a bulky weight and I used my Ashford Joy to spin the yarn. The original sweater had a very wide neckline, and since I am not into sweaters falling off my shoulders, I added a crocheted neckline. I decreased stitches while crocheting several rows around the neck, so it would lay flat. It still has a bit of scoop to the neck, but is more comfortable this way. I use it as a cardigan and wear it over a blouse/shirt. Which brings us back to the weather. :)
I had thought I wouldn't get to wear this until next winter, since it is March and I am in Texas. However, we have had some pretty cold weather and very high winds down here. So, much so that outside garden plants have had to be covered. So, out I went with sheets to cover my garden plants. Needless to say, I have worn my Sonnet several times and absolutely love it.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

It's really nice, and I like that pattern. Nice job!!